The Technology & Manufacturing Association (TMA) represents nearly 1,000 Midwest manufacturers and more than 30,000 manufacturing employees, offering the resources they need to thrive. The organization assists with everything from retirement planning and employee training to marketing, business development, and events to help manufacturers improve operations and grow profitable businesses. TMA also advocates for these small manufacturers in front of legislators, the media, and more.
Tom Simeone, president of Manor Tool and Manufacturing Company, was recently featured in TMA News’ Masters of Manufacturing. Below are featured highlights.
To learn more about Tom Simeone and his passion for manufacturing at Manor Tool, read the entire TMA article.
Tom Simeone: “Masters of Manufacturing”
Tom Simeone has a long history in manufacturing, and his years of experience and dedication to the industry serve Manor Tool along with the next generation of manufacturers. With a commitment to community and the future of manufacturing, he has successfully diversified the company’s capabilities and built a strong team of talented employees as he encourages young people with the drive and desire to consider a career in this ever-evolving industry.
The TMA article by Fran Eaton highlights Tom’s education, long career, passion for manufacturing, community involvement, and dedication to the people who make the business successful:
- Tom’s father, Lee, founded Manor Tool in 1959 as a small tool and die shop. Tom grew up cleaning machines and assisting with the family business. He was the only one of seven children to follow his father’s footsteps in manufacturing!
- He earned a bachelor’s degree in Theoretical and Applied Mechanics from the University of Illinois in Champaign.
- As he got more involved with Manor Tool, he prioritized the diversification of the company’s customer base to protect against the loss of clients to overseas manufacturers.
- He believes the Manor Tool team is the company’s biggest asset. The average employee tenure is 20 years, and Tom works hard to ensure the company continues to recruit and keep top talent.
- To that end, Tom has developed a strong apprenticeship program and works with area high schools to drive interest in manufacturing as a career. Managers make regular visits to the schools to offer guidance on how teachers can encourage interest in these jobs, and it’s paying off: compared to a decade ago, students at two local high schools are showing more interest in manufacturing and technology careers.
- Tom currently serves as treasurer on TMA’s board of directors, and is in line to be chairman in the next couple of years. This is actually his second time on the board. Years ago, he was the youngest member of the board, where he was fortunate enough to learn from his fellow board members—some of manufacturing’s top leaders, who accepted him as an equal despite his status as a recent graduate.
- He is also active on TMA’s Manufacturing Education Committee, TMA’s Government Relations Committee, and Chicago Federal Reserve’s Manufacturers Round Table.
Manor Tool provides high-quality precision metal stamping and fabrication in an ISO 9001:2015 certified facility. From prototypes to high-volume runs, we have the equipment and the experience to deliver your components promptly. Contact us to learn more about our capabilities or request a quote for your next project.